Friday, July 4, 2008

As the Trees Bear Witness


There comes a moment each summer when I feel connected to all who came before me and those who are no longer. The moment came last weekend when I sat with Samy on the bench called "Marvin's Gardens," while she read me a story. The book, "Morris the Moose Goes to School," is one of those beloved books we leave in our bungalow over the winter, and re-discover with delight the next summer. As Samy gleefully recalled her favorite parts, a breeze ruffled her hair and fluttered the pages. The peaceful, bucolic setting sent a comforting wash of contentment over me. "Marvin would really be pleased about this spot," I thought, recalling the long, dapper mand with the ready smile for whom the bench was named. As I looked across the lake, my gaze swept the trees, tall and magestic, that have born witness to so many generations. I felt them looking back at me, and saw the grassy spot where I sat transform into the beach it once was. I heard the kind, warm voice of my grandfather, telling me, as he did each summer, "once upon a time, the beach was right here, in front of the Social Hall." I saw him as a young man, nuzzling my grandmother as they sat in their circle of friends. I felt their joy and pleasure at all that Pine Lake has been and continues to be for eeveryone who summers here. I felt their happiness that I sat there, reading stories with my daughter, as my parents once did with me. She is a child of Pine Lake, as am I. No matter where we go, and what we do, our roots are here, like the tall trees that bear witness, and always will.

No comments: