Tuesday, June 2, 2009

wait for it...

There's nothing like finding out your child has head-lice to throw your day into disarray. Spending hours picking nits out of Samy's hair was an exercise in patience and compassion. (By the way, I recommend a concoction of olive oil mixed with tea tree, rosemary, eucalyptus and lavender essential oils. Leave it on for one hour. Shampoo and then comb through with one of those super fine-tooth combs.) Just as I was at my wit's end, Samy said the most profound thing. "You know mom, the other day, my friend shouted in the playground: 'I hate Jewish people. They don't believe in God.' I said that I was part Jewish, and I would be sad if she hated me. She asked me if I believe in God. I said that I don't believe there's someone sitting in space watching us. I believe that God is everywhere and in everything beautiful. I believe that God is the goodness in people's hearts."

Thank you oh lice, for giving us this time together.

"Teach me your ways O Lord,
And I will walk in your path.
Give me an undivided heart,
And I will fear your name.
I will praise you,
O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.
"
Psalm 86:11-1

No comments: