Friday, March 9, 2012

Life Is Short But Its The Longest Thing You Do

Yesterday, I went to a funeral for a friend who died after a long fight with breast cancer. In the mid '90s, I taught a cardio-funk class at the YMCA (because I'm just so funky y'all), and Lydia was one of the regulars in a terrific bunch of women who came every week to learn routines to "Thriller," "Rhythm Nation," and "Proud Mary," to name a few. I had recently gone through a divorce and was tip-toeing into the dating world, and these ladies were a great source of support, wit and wisdom. When I first met my now husband, he came to take the class, they vetted him, pronouncing him "worthy." At about the same time, Lydia met her soon to be husband Thomas, and we vetted him too.

Lydia had a huge smile and a bubbly personality. She was one of those warm, loving people who embrace life with arms wide open. She was wildly in love with her husband, beyond proud of her daughter, and a cheerleader for her friends.

I lost touch with Lydia shortly after my younger daughter was born. For the past 11 years, our paths barely crossed; we both were caught up in our lives, and plans to get together didn't materialize. I am sad to say that I didn't appreciate how grave her illness was. When I bumped into her lovely daughter from time to time, I would always send my love, intend to call, and not follow through.

The beautiful memorial service today made me think a lot about why good people die young. When someone "bad" dies or suffers through a horrible illness, we don't really think about it. We have a sense that perhaps they deserved it. And when "bad" people prosper and thrive, we feel that the universe has made a terrible mistake. But when good people suffer and leave us too early, we sit up and take notice. The tragedy transforms us, wakes us up, makes us think twice about how much we take for granted. We always think we'll have the time to connect, to say the things we want to say, until we just don't. So, sadly, we keep needing these reminders about how precious and fragile life is. I am so sorry that I had to get this reminder from Lydia, and that I didn't make a point to stay in touch with her.

Life is the longest thing we do. So make yours amazing. Make it count. Share your love and goodness anytime and anyway you can.

No comments: