Wednesday, April 1, 2009

just sit already

There is no excuse for not meditating. Not one. That may seem harsh but it's the truth. I have at one time or another used and believed every single excuse that you can think of, and not one holds up. When I first started, I didn't even seek to meditate. My therapist's instructions were just to sit quietly in a chair alone in a room for 2 - 5 minutes. I couldn't do it. Not even for 60 seconds! There was laundry to do, a dishwasher to unload, an email to write. And I hated to be alone. Later, when I had developed the capacity to be still, with only myself ... alone ... I couldn't find the time for a regular practice. I was too tired, or too wired. The animals needed feeding or walking or the cat litter needed scooping. I had to work; I had to nap. I had to do anything but meditate.

Why is it so hard? For me, it was because sitting still and quietly meant I had to feel my life. And when I started, the feelings weren't always so good. I was in the middle of an ugly, contested divorce. I had stopped practicing law and was trying to make a new career as an artist. I didn't know if I was going to be able to stay in my house or raise my baby; I felt like my whole identity and everything I had planned was thrown into the wind. I didn't want to be "in the moment." The "moment" sucked.

But sitting still, and feeling my life, though initially so painful, saved my life. Just sitting and being, slowing down and stopping, observing and letting go, helped me to see what had gotten me to the present moment, and helped me to be open to the future. Now, it is the most important part of my day. And that's the key. You have to make it your priority. Just like you don't go a day without brushing your teeth or eating a meal, you have to decide that this is an absolutely essential daily practice. And you have the time. I finally realized that if I had the time to keep up with American Idol (isn't Adam amazing?), Grey's Anatomy (do you think Izzie will die?) and the Office (is Michael really going to start his own paper company?), I had time to meditate. So if you have the time to read this blog, or check in on Facebook, you have time to meditate! And taking a quiet walk, or gardening, or exercising, doesn't count. Sorry. You have to sit quietly WITH ONLY YOURSELF. And if that's difficult or painful, spend the time examining your feelings of difficulty or pain. Just do it!

Try these guided meditations with Lama Marut and Kelly Morris.

No comments: