Friday, May 8, 2009

the generous heart

When I stood there in the Costume Shop basement, thinking that I wanted to keep things because it was so hard to let go, I could actually feel my heart constricting. Holding on to something for no reason other than you don't want someone else to have it will actually shrink your heart. I was reminded of the story How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, in which the Grinch, whose heart was "two sizes two small," steals all the Who's presents because he can't bear to see them so happy. In negotiating a business deal, this approach is called the "scorched earth" strategy, a hardball "winner take all" tactic that invariably ends up alienating the other party to the deal. I am so grateful for the teachings that I study, because I was able to remind myself, before I did any damage, that no true happiness is possible without a generous heart. As Buddhist Christina Feldman in Heart of Wisdom, Mind of Calm observes: "Generosity lies at the heart of spiritual practice. Extending generosity to ourselves and others gladdens our heart, is a direct way of healing division, and brings joy." Teachings of generosity lie at the heart of all the great spiritual traditions. To quote Lama Marut, it is not happiness that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us happy. To quote Bob Hope, "people without charity in their hearts have serious heart problems." Even in the world of business negotiations, experts have learned that a win/win strategy, where both sides advance their interests, is best. When I was feeling stingy, I was unhappy and sour. Feeling generous, I am expansive and peaceful.

"Giving brings happiness at every stage of its expression. We experience joy in forming the intention to be generous. We experience joy in the actual act of giving something. We experience joy in remembering the fact that we have given." The Buddha.

No comments: