Thursday, March 5, 2009

but does it work?

Yes! I have been trying to see my suffering, broken-legged, down-in-the-dumps husband as a holy being for a week now, and so much has changed. Not only have I had much more compassion and patience for him -- helping me to feel privileged (rather than oppressed) to take care of him, but also he has become much more lively, energetic, and helpful. This morning, he actually woke up early to make my youngest her lunch for school and volunteered to hobble around the corner to pick her up at 3PM. Plus, today when I ran in and out in between meetings, he asked if there was anything he could do for me -- make me tea in a to-go cup, anything! He has been doing the laundry, loading and unloading the dishwasher, and repaired a broken cabinet. To quote Motel in Fiddler on the Roof, "wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles!" Change yourself, and you will change your world.

No comments: