Thursday, March 19, 2009

Natasha Richardson, in tribute

Natasha Richardson, 45 years old, died yesterday after a seemingly minor ski accident. The heartbreak and loss for her family and friends is larger than words. To those of us who merely admired her from afar, she is a tragic reminder of the fragility and preciousness of this life.

Death is something we pretend does not exist. We live carelessly, as if we will live forever, taking most of life's moment's for granted. Yet if there is one thing that is certain in life, it is that we shall all die, sooner or later. Death can be a teacher. Only in facing death, those of loved ones and our own, can we be free from the fear of it, and learn the lessons it has to teach about life. For me, the lesson is not to waste a minute to show my love, make other people happy, and work as hard as I can on my spiritual life. Because nothing else is coming with me at the end.

Here is a guide to a Buddhist meditation on death:

Death is definite

1: Death will definitely come, nothing can stop it.

2: Life span is continuously decreasing.

3: Death will come regardless of whether you have made time to practice or not.

Decision: It is definite that I will die and so I must practice dharma!

Time of death is uncertain

1: The life span of beings is this world is uncertain

Remaining nether day nor night,
This life is constantly slipping by
And never getting any longer.
Why wouldn't death come to one like me!

Shantideva

2: There are more factors conductive to death than life
a: External factors
b: Internal factors
c: Things that generally support life can become the cause of your demise

3: Our bodies are very fragile

Decision: As I am not sure when I will die, I must practice dharma now!

At the time of death, only the dharma can help

1: Friends & family can't help - you have to leave by yourself.

2: Your wealth can't help you - you can't take your money with you or buy a first class seat into the next life.

3: Your body cannot help you through the death process.

Decision: As nothing but the dharma can benefit me at my time of death. I must practice dharma purely!

If for only today, be loving and give each moment attention and care.

No comments: