Monday, March 9, 2009

if time is on my side, why can't I see it?

I've reconnected on Facebook with people I went to camp with in the early '70s. In reconnecting with some of these people, my perspectives on some key experiences I had during two formative summers have been shaken up, causing me to look at them in a completely different way. In doing so, I've changed how I think about the past. This has inevitably altered how I think about myself in the present, which will undoubtedly change my future. Time is a funny thing, and how we think about our past, present and futures is loaded with emotions, memories, and all sorts of imprints. Is there an objective way to look at the past, or even the present? How can there be? And where is the present moment anyway? The minute you try to look at it, it's in the past. Can we have a present moment without the existence of past moments? How can we have a future, without either the past or the present? But just try to find any one of them.

No comments: